2020-06-06

Counterproductive software policy

In the Time Before (tm) I used to make regular pilgrimages to one of my employer's offices nearly an hour away. On these and other drives where I have signficant blocks of time alone I listen to podcasts in the car.1 Today I was dispatched to do the once-a-month in-person shopping that our household needs despite copious (not to say excessive) use of internet shopping and local grocery delivery. I feel there is enough driving in that to justify story time.

Now the default podcast app on my iPhone doesn't interface well with my car's bluetooth audio system. Sometimes it thinks it's connected and running but no sounds comes from any device and it can't be fixed without rebooting the phone. So I tried Radio Public which isn't ideal but works a lot better with the car.2

Of course, sometime I start driving without remembering to start the app. So ... "Hey, creepy Siri." ... "Start Radio Public." And then Siri tells me that she can't do that while I'm driving.

Of course, I'm trying to do it by voice because I'm driving: the point is to keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road.

I appreciate that Apple is concerned about the role of phones in distracted driving, but surely voice control is less distracting (not to mention more leagally acceptable) than diddling the screen with your fingers.3 This particular policy seem to be defeat its own purpose.

Anyone know of a podcast app for iThings that I can control by voice while driving?


1 Escape Pod, Clarkesworld, and Drabblecast if you care.

2 It would be very easy to convince me that this is the car's fault, but so what? I can't easily upgrade the car's entertainment system.

3 I know, I know. Don't call you Shirley.

No comments:

Post a Comment