2020-02-05

Upgrade woes and another thing to walk away from

I finally let my MacBook Pro upgrade to Catalina a couple of days ago and got a rude surprise.

Some arrogant snot at Apple (I know, not exactly an uncommon breed over there) thought it would be a good idea to make the Desktop and Download folder special.  As in most application aren't allowed to touch them. Apparently this is a "security" measure.

Now, you can manually assign permission to applications you want to have access.

But I do most of my work from the command line (everyone thinks a Mac is just a convenient Unix box, right?), which is to say that I use dozens of different "small sharp tools" (i.e. applications) that aren't on Apple's blessed list. Who wants to add them all by hand? And especially who wants to discover another one you need to add right in the middle of your next tricky operation?

And I store active projects in folders on the Desktop, so this affect stuff I use all the time.
There are probably children out there holding down spacebar to stay warm in the winter! YOUR UPDATE MURDERS CHILDREN.
Used by permission of the creator Randall Munroe
I guess I'll spend a little time installing Linux on that spare laptop this weekend. I'm told that Elementary OS often just works (though my first attempt was thwarted by the TPM).

No comments:

Post a Comment