2020-02-03

Scrapers and non-particpation

I'm trying very hard to not support Stack Exchange until I see where they are going. Where they are really going. I mean, they made nice sounding noises in a meeting with a highly regarded user recently to match the ones they've made online. Which ought to be encouraging, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Time will tell.

In the meantime I stumbled across a site scrapping Stack Exchange content without attribution today. (I know that link is Stack Overflow content, and a cursory search brings up a couple more candidates.)

Which leaves me in a bind: I am not working for them right now, but I feel strongly that open source licenses need to be publicly defended to establish a strong social norm around them. Strong legal precedents exist, but sufficiently widespread violation could undermine that.

Anyone who is still participating want to take it?

4 comments:

  1. Missing "i" in "particpation"

    (This comment need not stay up for long.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "scrapping" is something else. *"scraping"

    (This comment need not stay up for long.)

    ReplyDelete