2023-07-17

Vicarious success

Smiles and selfies after the committee introduces the new doctor.

I was thrilled to be invited to attend a former student's dissertation defense last weekend. Even better, another colleague from those heady days showed up as well, so it was reunion and memories all 'round as we celebrated. I'd like to say that the talk itself was enlightening, but honestly it was magnetohydrodynamics so I was hopelessly lost from the first moment. But at least she got a really nice seminar room for the talk.

Seeing someone develop from a bright but untrained newb into a compentent young professional is one of the best parts of teaching at the colege level. Getting to peak in on their further success is icing on the cake. I know I've been grinning a lot when the subjct comes up and can only hope I've managed to avoid being insufferable.

Even better I know of another former student also moving through the pipeline. You know who you are. And I am definitely angling for a invitation to that defense as well.

1 comment:

  1. It could be me? I'm looking at a year-ish from now because I chose to do experimental work, but I've picked up some impact modeling skills in the meantime. You are very welcome to attend when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete