2023-07-04

More registration bullshit

I ordered something online last month (hardly an uncommon occurance). The vender shipped it and gave me a tracking link which I've been checking periodically. As of July 22nd, the tracking website lists it's status as

Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending [name of my town]
and it claims it will be delieverd by the very next 7pm. Every time I look it's coming by the next 7pm. For nearly two weeks, now.

Now, I have to say that "Acceptance Pending" is mildly worrying,1 but the ongoing lack of progress is a bigger deal. A few of days ago (when the status hadn't changed2 for eight days) I ran out a patience and decided to get a human being involved. I don't think that's unreasonable, do you?

Anyway, you might expect there to be some kind of link or button explcitly for escalating a case to a person. There isn't. Presumably that's a behavior engineering thing: if you make it too easy to escalate, people will avail themselves of the option enough to cost you real money. Disappointing but not terribly surprising.

So try drilling down both from the tracking page and from the home page.

The tracking pop-up does offer to let me log into the system so that I can see my "full shipment progress",3 but I have to give them lots of personal data to do that. Why? Why is knowing my name and where I'm recieving package not enough, huh?

The "Contact Us" part of the home page has a varienty of toll-free numebrs to use t oget put in a queue to talk to one of their call centers, which I suppose is what I'm going to have to do.


1 Did they lose the package between pulling it off the truck and sorting it for local delivery? Is the box more dmaged them they're comfortable with? Something else?

2 Except for updating the project deliever date every day to keep it at the next 7pm, of course.

3 That offer is on the "Shippment Progress" tab of the tracking pop-up. I guess it's really a Partial Shipping Progress tab. Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment