2023-09-14

Really, Qt?

Qt Creator is poluting my nice clear build results window with a complaint that my build directory is not on the same level of the filesystem as my source directory. It's a new complaint even though I've been using Qt Creator for ages, because I recently had to re-oganize my work a little. I have, for a long time, used a layout where by source, build, and distribution directories for each project are sub-directories of $HOME/source, $HOME/build, and $HOME/dist which actually meets Qt's strange requirement.1 Alas IT issued a new edict concerning the centalized backup system and on windows I've been forced to move my source hierarchy to $HOME/Documents/source on that platform. Which broke QT's little brain.

The policy is, presumably, intended to enfore a prefernce for out-of-source build, which is a good idea (every build should be out of source). But it is also way, way too restrictive a way to enforece that behavior.


1 This lets be share the source directory across the Windows host, several WSL linux installations, and the few VMs I still run while each platform maintains it's own build and distribution locations.

1 comment:

  1. Hello old friend and former mod! I've been lurking for awhile but find myself passing through what I think (memory is hazy, it's been awhile) is your neck of the woods for my work. It would be great to connect on my next pass through your desert and talk shop about scientific computing and all the fun of our jobs. Feel free to reach out to my personal email, tim [dot] gallagher32 at gmail if you'd like to chat some more! I can let you know the next time I'm moving through the area I think I remember... heh.

    ReplyDelete