2020-09-10

On styling text in a QTextBrowser

My project at work is complicated enough to need fairly extensive on-line documentation, which we write as html and diplay to the user in a QTextBrowser. Now, this thing is not a full web browser1 and only a supports a limited subset of html/css.

Suffice it to say that if you're just had a clever CSS idea it's not supported by QTextBrowser.

At first this didn't bother me too much because I had never done css before. But as I've become more familiar with the tool (and at once awed and appalled by it), I've become aware of just what I'm missing out on. I wrote the quoted sentence as part of our guidelines for writing and formatting the help files.

I'm sticking with QTextBrowser for now because our needs are simple and we can't really expect an incoming junior dev to be able to support a sophisticated pile of css anyway.2


1 That's available as QWebEngine, but it brings in a large module so I didn't want to use it.

2 Because of the nature of our work, our target demographic for new hires is "scientists and engineers who can program" more than it is people with a strong development background. Having web skills would be a bonus, but it's not part of the expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment